The Business Magazine - B2B Business News - Site Logo
The Business Magazine March 2024
Read now
PICK YOUR EDITION

JLEN Environmental Assets buys remaining 30% of Surrey-based Bio Collectors Holdings

5 December 2023
Share
The Business Magazine article image for: JLEN Environmental Assets buys remaining 30% of Surrey-based Bio Collectors Holdings
iStock

JLEN Environmental Assets Group Limited has taken full control of Mitcham, Surrey-based waste recycling firm Bio Collectors Holdings (BCH) by buying the remaining 30% shareholding it did not already own for £8 million.

Investment group JLEN said the move was expected to deliver "attractive" returns for shareholders and consolidate its control of BCH allowing it to deliver "operational synergies across its portfolio of food waste AD plants".

READ MORE: VIVID to cut food waste through double partnership

BCH holds the rights and operational assets of an anaerobic digestion (AD) facility in Mitcham, which was commissioned in 2013, and a Bio Collectors waste collections business.

In December, 2019, JLEN acquired a 70% interest in the company and agreed that after an initial holding period it would buy the remaining 30%.

"We are pleased with this follow-on investment which we view as value accretive to JLEN's portfolio over the long term," said Ed Warner, chair of JLEN.

"We view the role of food waste anaerobic digestion as strategically important in not only helping to decarbonise our energy and transport systems through the production and usage of biogas but also contributing to the diversion of waste away from landfill."

The AD plant produces mainly biomethane to be injected into the national gas grid. It also has two combined heat and power engines and is accredited under the Renewable Heat Incentive (RHI) and Feed-in-Tariff (FiT) schemes.

The waste business collects source-separated and packaged food waste for the AD plant from a variety of commercial, industrial and local authorities in and around Greater London ultilising a growing fleet of biogas-powered vehicles.

Visit Hampshire Biz News for bright, upbeat and positive business news from the county


Giles Gwinnett is a writer at The Business Magazine. He has been a journalist for more than 20 years and covered a vast array of topics at a range of media settings - in print and online. After his NCTJ newspaper training, he became a reporter in Hampshire before moving to a news agency in Gloucestershire. In recent years, he has been covering the financial markets along with company news for an investor-focused web portal. His many interests include politics, energy and the environment. He lives in Dorset.

Related topics

Related articles

Upcoming events

view more
01
May

South Coast Property Forum: Networking Lunch

Ennios Ristorante
Southampton
More info
06
Jun

South Coast Property Awards 2024

Hilton Southampton
Utilita Bowl
More info
12
Jun

Leadership Roundtable: Developing strategies for financial returns over the next decade

Herrington Carmichael, Farnborough Aerospace Centre, GU14 6XR

More info
18
Jul

Thames Valley Tech & Innovation Awards 2024

Reading FC Conference & Events
Select Car Leasing Stadium, Reading
More info
12
Sep

Thames Valley Property Awards 2024

Ascot Pavilion
Ascot Racecourse
More info
03
Oct

South Coast Tech & Innovation Awards 2024

Hilton Southampton
Utilita Bowl
More info
07
Nov

Thames Valley Deals Awards 2024

Reading FC Conference & Events
Select Car Leasing Stadium, Reading
More info
21
Nov

Hampshire Business Awards 2024

Farnborough International
Exhibition & Conference Centre
More info

Related articles